|Institution||University of Warwick, Centre for Applied Linguistics|
|Location||Centre for Applied Linguistics (Central Campus)|
We are looking to appoint an experienced Assistant Director of Studies for our 10-week summer Pre-sessional course, to work alongside the existing ADoS, reporting to the Course Director. This would be an appointment for 11 weeks, starting on Monday July 1st, one week before the Pre-sessional begins, and finishing on September 13th 2019.
Applicants should have an Honours degree (or equivalent), an English Language Teaching qualification (at DELTA level or equivalent), and a Masters degree in the area of ELT or Applied Linguistics. Experience of managing and supporting teams of tutors is essential. The teaching groups for the final 6 weeks of the Pre-sessional (Phase 5) are organised on a subject-specific basis, so the prospective ADoS should also have experience of EAP teaching and of the academic culture and environment of a UK higher education institution.
• Assisting the Course Director in ensuring and monitoring the academic quality of the Pre-sessional English course.
• In the possible absence of the Director, and alongside the existing ADoS, taking full responsibility for the delivery of the course, reporting where necessary to the Director’s line manager.
• Leading meetings, where required.
• Ensuring teaching staff are fully supported throughout the course by providing, monitoring and supplementing teaching resources as required (this includes managing our Moodle site).
• Assisting the Director at staff meetings and meetings with student class representatives and accommodation staff.
• Scheduling and assisting with pastoral and cultural activities, in consultation with the administration team.
• Where necessary or appropriate, assisting the Director and administration team in dealing with any personal or medical crises involving students or teaching staff.
• Scheduling and monitoring a suitable teaching cover schedule, and where necessary stepping in to undertake cover teaching.
• In the absence of the Director, and where necessary or appropriate, liaising with departments who will be receiving Pre-sessional students.
• Assisting the Director and supporting the team of tutors in the process of assessing students.
• Assisting the Director to set up, run and monitor the Staff Observation schedule.
Promoting a friendly and welcoming atmosphere in the Centre, for both staff and students.
• Delivering workshops/training as required by the Director, for example in relation to new technologies.
The ADoS will be paid on the basis of a 40-hour week at £21.41 per hour, amounting to £856.40 per week over 11 weeks. This pay includes an element for holiday pay. A non-local AdoS will be offered free on-campus accommodation.
Interested candidates are welcome to have an informal conversation with the Director of the Pre-sessional, Nigel Prentice. To apply for the post, please email a CV to Nigel at: N.Prentice@warwick.ac.uk