|Institution||Durham University (Durham Centre for Academic Development)|
|Job Type||fixed-term, full-time|
We are seeking well-qualified, experienced EAP teachers for our summer Pre-sessional programmes. Our programmes have been BALEAP accredited since 2008, and we work closely with university residential colleges to ensure students’ social and pastoral needs are also met.
Our curriculum and teaching material is designed in-house and provided in full. We also provide a week-long induction to the ethos and principles underpinning the programme followed up by weekly meetings to ensure teachers are fully supported in their implementation of the course.
We are recruiting for the following programmes:
• 10 week Programme: Mon 6th July – Fri 19th September 2019 (this includes teacher induction)
• 5 week Programme: Mon 10th August – Fri 19th September 2019 (this includes teacher induction)
You will be expected to deliver approximately 16-18 contact hours with approximately 16-18 hours of preparation and marking, and approximately 2 hours of meetings per week.
You will deliver our curriculum to postgraduate or undergraduate students who have been conditionally accepted onto Durham degree programmes. Pre-sessional is intensive and aims to induct and socialise students into the practices and expectations of academic study in English at University level. We aim to limit class sizes to approximately 14-16 students, as a core component of your teaching is feedback to students on their work.
• Prepare and deliver EAP classes using the materials provided
• Engage with the course content including all reading texts
• Give timely, effective feedback on students’ assignments
• Work closely with colleagues to assess student work
• Attend weekly teachers’ meetings
• Maintain accurate records of work and assessment
• RSA CELTA (or equivalent)
• Good undergraduate degree or equivalent
• A minimum of 2 years relevant teaching experience
• MA in Applied Linguistics / TESOL / TEAP (or equivalent) and/or RSA DELTA (or equivalent) and/or significant, relevant EAP teaching experience with MA / RSA DELTA in progress
• Knowledge of a range of teaching methodologies and the ability to exploit these appropriately in an EAP context
• Understanding of the demands and conventions of HE study and how these may differ across the disciplines
• Willingness to engage in peer and evaluative observations
• Ability to work effectively with Microsoft office, Durham’s VLE and other learning technologies as required
• Willingness to work as part of an international team
• Experience of teaching EAP in the UK in a Higher Education context (e.g. Pre-sessional courses)
• Awareness of the BALEAP Competency Framework for Teachers of EAP (CFTEAP) and the framework’s relevance to classroom practice. We also welcome applications from teachers working towards the BALEAP TEAP CPD accreditation.
• A track record of engagement with EAP scholarship and practice.
We offer £698.70/week plus 12.07% holiday pay
Free self-catering accommodation within the city is available on request
How to Apply:
• A tailored CV of no more than 2 pages including the full contact details of 2 referees
• A brief covering letter of no more than 1 page which outlines your suitability to teach EAP on our programme
Please send these to firstname.lastname@example.org
Please note that documents sent to other email addresses will not be considered.