|Xi'an Jiaotong-Liverpool University
School: School of Languages
Department: English Language Centre (ELC)
Position: Language Lecturer / Senior Language Lecturer
Location: Suzhou, China
Contract Type: Fixed-term, renewable. 3rd contract is open-ended
Xi’an Jiaotong-Liverpool University (XJTLU) was established in 2006 by the University of Liverpool (UK) and Xi’an Jiaotong University – a top ten university in China. Offering a unique international education experience, XJTLU brings together excellent research practice and expertise from both institutions and provides students with the skills and knowledge they need to secure careers in the global marketplace. XJTLU currenty has over 25,000 enrolled students in both Suzhou (China) and Liverpool (UK), with plans to grow to 28,000 students by 2025. There are currently approximately 2,000 staff, including 1,000 academics, with an almost even split between citizens of the People’s Republic of China and international passport holders. XJTLU offers over 100 programmes at both undergraduate and postgraduate levels.
XJTLU is entering a new and exciting phase of its development as part of its strategic priorities for the next ten years. Adopting an innovative higher education model based on the concept of Syntegrative Education (SE), XJTLU has recently opened the Entrepreneur College in Taicang. The Taicang site will be a pioneer of, and educational model for, the future campus in addressing challenges arising from the 4th Industrial Revolution. Other initiatives include working partnerships with Xi’an Jiaotong University, the continued development of the four new Academies, and the exploration of potential locations to develop the SE model.
With a focus on innovative learning and teaching, and research, XJTLU draws on the strengths of both its parent universities, and plays a pivotal role in facilitating access to China for the UK and other institutional partners. At the same time, XJTLU is exploring future education by blending the educational theory, best practice and culture from both the East and West.
For further information about the university, please visit www.xjtlu.edu.cn.
About The English Language Centre
The English Language Centre (ELC) is a growing centre with approximately 210 full-time lecturers coming from a range of backgrounds and cultures. We are primarily involved in teaching credit-bearing English for General Academic Purposes (EGAP) for all of Year 1, a cohort of over 5,000 students. In addition, we teach credit-bearing modules in Y2, which range from more advanced EGAP modules, School-specific EAP modules, and degree-specific modules. We also have a small Postgraduate support programme, and other bespoke provision.
ELC staff play an integral role in ensuring that XJTLU’s students are equipped with the language skills and academic literacies needed to succeed in their degree programmes. We offer a range of opportunities for professional engagement and career development for EAP practitioners and scholars at various stages in their careers. The ELC is especially proud to be the first institution outside the UK to be both accredited by the British Association of Lecturers in EAP (BALEAP) and the Chartered Institute of Linguists (CIOL).
Due to our continuing growth, the ELC has several openings for Faculty for suitably experienced, creative, and inspiring EAP language teachers. You are encouraged to apply for a position according to your education, qualifications, and experience. We are hiring for the lecturer designations of Language Lecturer, and Senior Language Lecturer; these are based on qualifications, experience, pre-interview task, and interview.
The workload of Language Lecturers in the ELC is shared between teaching, professional engagement, and service. Generally, teaching may be up to 20 hours per week contact time plus additional preparation, marking, etc.
• Excellent standard of written and spoken English
• Relevant Master’s degree in Education/Language Teaching/TESOL/TEFL/Applied Linguistics/English/English Studies
• Minimum 2 years’ full-time post-master’s English Language teaching experience.
• Professional and collegiate attitude
• Experience of teaching assessing and/or developing materials for English for Academic Purposes.
• Language teaching qualification (e.g., DELTA or equivalent, CELTA, TESOL/TESL/TEFL)
• Professional credentials or certificates (e.g., FHEA / SFHEA, BALEAP or TEAP, IELTS, etc.)
• Engagement and expertise in one or more of the following areas: Technology Enhanced Language Learning; Content and Language Integrated Learning; EAP specialisms particularly focusing on degree-specificity; Assessment development.
Citizenship and Visa Regulations
Employment at XJTLU is regulated by Chinese Labour Laws. These regulations stipulate who is eligible for legal employment with regard to obtaining work permits and visas. Please be advised that candidates over 60 may be not eligible for a work visa in Suzhou.
1. Clear career development path with annual review.
2. Professional development training sessions and Communities of Practices.
Please submit your application online via the link here:
Applications should include the following:
• A cover letter (in your letter, please tell us where you saw the ad)
• A current CV
• If available, please attach three reference letters, at least one of which is from a current or former line manager. If you cannot provide reference letters at the time of application, please include the names/titles/email contacts for three referees. In this case, referees are contacted only after you have received an offer of employment from XJTLU.
For further information, please email firstname.lastname@example.org.