|Institution||Xi'an Jiaotong-Liverpool University|
|Job Type||Associate Dean for Learning and Teaching|
University: Xi’an Jiaotong-Liverpool University
School: School of Languages
Position: Associate Dean for Learning and Teaching
Salary: Internationally competitive
Location: Suzhou, China
Position Open Date: September 1st 2023 or earlier
Contract Type: Fixed-term, renewable. 3rd contract is open-ended
Xi’an Jiaotong-Liverpool University (XJTLU) is a young and dynamic EMI university founded in 2006, and is the first joint-venture university in China to offer both UK (University of Liverpool) and Chinese (Ministry of Education) accredited undergraduate degrees for 100 programmes. XJTLU aims to become truly research-led and has committed significant investment into research development and the expansion of master’s and PhD student numbers on campus. The university has over 21,000 students and more than 920 academic staff representing in excess of 89 nationalities.
About School of Languages
The School of Languages at XJTLU was established in 2020. The contemporary School is fast-growing, dynamically engaged with the latest digital and transnational trends and developments in EAP and Modern Languages, and is comprised of two Centres: the English Language Centre (ELC) and the Modern Languages Centre (MLC). Across the School of Languages our mission statement is this: “delivering excellence in student-centred teaching through innovative technology-enhanced language learning and tailored academic skills development”.
Our School vision both matches and extends this core daily mission. Each day all ELC and MLC staff strive to make the School of Languages a global go-to Centre of Excellence where effective and inspiring teaching is enhanced with cutting-edge technologies and focussed on the specific learning needs of our students. The specific approach within an English Medium of Instruction multilingual environment makes the student experience, enjoyable, rewarding and carefully-oriented towards career success as a global graduate.
RESPONSIBILITIES AND DUTIES
The Associate Dean for Learning and Teaching (hereafter “Associate Dean”) in the School of Languages is a key role in the management and development of language and academic skills training for students on all XJTLU degree programmes, and the delivery of learning and teaching activities in English, Chinese, Japanese and Spanish. The Associate Dean reports directly to the Dean.
1. The Associate Dean provides leadership and oversight to the development of language and academic skills training for students on all XJTLU degree programmes and the delivery of teaching in the School.
2. The Associate Dean is a member of the School Senior Management Team, and supports the Dean in the leadership of the School.
3. It is the responsibility of the Associate Dean to ensure that teaching programmes maximise the market opportunities for the School; that the content of modules is kept up to date; and that new advances in teaching technology and academic discussions are accommodated.
1. The Associate Dean has oversight of all teaching activities in the School.
2. The Associate Dean has responsibility for putting measures in place to encourage the development of best teaching practice within the School with a special emphasis on technology-enhanced learning.
3. The Associate Dean may be asked to take on specific administrative tasks by the Dean. These include service on committees and working parties, as well as tasks related to learning and teaching.
4. The Associate Dean serves as the SoL representative on the university Learning and Teaching Committee and carries out related work.
1. The Associate Dean may be asked to directly line manage members of staff within the SoL.
2. The Associate Dean plays a leading role in the School Learning and Teaching Committee.
3. The Associate Dean may assist the Dean in the effective management of the Professional Development Review system at School-level.
1. The Associate Dean reports directly to the Dean of the School.
2. The Associate Dean works closely with the Associate Vice President – Education, and other Associate Deans across campus, to ensure the development of an appropriate learning and teaching environment at XJTLU.
3. The Associate Dean works closely with both Directors in the School to ensure programs and modules meet market demand, appropriate standards of delivery, and student expectations.
4. The Associate Dean works closely with all Module Convenors in the School to ensure the effective presentation and delivery of programmes of learning and teaching.
5. The Associate Dean works closely with the School Learning and Committee to ensure the highest standards of quality assurance in teaching planning and delivery are met.
We are looking for someone with the ambition, creativity and organizational skills to succeed in an exciting environment of continued growth and significant change. Applicants should:
• Be educated to Master’s degree level or above,
• Have at least five years of post-master’s EAP or Modern Languages’ teaching experience at university level,
• Have recent experience of leadership and management in higher education with a relevant track record of significant work to enhance learning and teaching (relevant experience could include being a Head of Division or other manager, module convenor, or team leader),
• Be able to demonstrate a clear and practical understanding of quality assurance in learning and teaching, including QAA benchmarks and relevant frameworks such as CEFR, as well as a principled approach to pedagogy,
• Significant team leadership experience in an HE context,
• Experience of setting strategic priorities particularly in relation to learning and teaching;
• An ability to act as a mentor for younger members of staff,
• An ability to contribute to the development and implementation of University strategies and policies.
• Experience of successful development and implementation of teaching quality enhancement programmes,
• Experience of working within external accreditation and quality assurance frameworks e.g. those provided by external partners,
• Experience working in a transnational educational context with Chinese and/or UK partner institutions,
• A recent track record of scholarship, including an EdD/PhD in a relevant area or progress towards one.
CITIZENSHIP AND VISA REGULATIONS
Employment at XJTLU is regulated by Chinese Labour Laws. These regulations stipulate who is eligible for legal employment with regard to obtaining work permits and visas. Please be advised that candidates over 60 may be not eligible for a work visa in Suzhou.
1. Clear career development path with annual review.
2. Professional development training sessions are provided.
4. Working visa and residence permit in China:
XJTLU sponsors working visa and residence permit in China for staff.
5. Research Funding Support
The university provides every new faculty members with Research Development Fund to encourage them to initiate research projects, and Research Engagement Fund provided to support their continuous research activities.
COMPENSATION & BENEFITS
SALARY: Highly competitive salary (369,528-505,164 RMB per year before tax)
*Approx. £40,212-£54,972 at time of publication
*Approx. $51,224-$70,025 at time of publication
1. Allowance: XJTLU provide various monthly/annual/one-off allowances as
o Housing allowance/monthly
o Travel allowance/annual
o Relocation allowance/one-off
o Children’s Education allowance/eligible
2. Comprehensive International Health Insurance: international health insurance plans (including dental and optical care) customized for staff and their family member/s (for details refer to the University Policy).
3. Paid holidays:
o Statutory Holidays (11 days)
o Annual Leave (36 days)
o Family Matters Leave
o Paid Sick Leave
o Marriage Leave
o Maternity / paternity Leave
o Parental Leave
Please submit your application online via the link here:
*Applications should include 3 parts in the order of:
• A cover letter (in your letter, please tell us where you saw the ad)
• A current CV
• If available, please attach three reference letters, at least one of which is from a current or former line manager. If you cannot provide reference letters at the time of application, please include the names/titles/email contacts for three referees. In this case, referees are contacted only after you have received an offer of employment from XJTLU.
For specific enquiries relating to the position, please email to Helen.Beech@xjtlu.edu.cn. Please quote the position and job ID in your enquiry. For specific enquiries relating to online application, please email HR at firstname.lastname@example.org.