|Institution||Pathway College at Northumbria University|
|Job Type||Permenant, full time|
|Location||Newcastle upon Tyne|
QA Higher Education works in partnership with Northumbria University to manage and deliver International Foundation Programmes (IFP) and a Graduate Certificate / Graduate Diploma in Business. Successful completion of the IFP programmes allows entry onto a range of undergraduate programmes at Northumbria University. The Graduate Certificate in Business is a pre-master’s programme and successful completion allows entry onto a range of postgraduate programmes at Northumbria University. The Graduate Diploma in Business a similar provision to the Graduate Certificate with communicative skills for Business added for students who do not meet the requirements of the Graduate Certificate.
These preparation programmes help international students to develop their academic skills, English language, become familiar with the academic culture, become part of the Northumbria University community and settle into Newcastle upon Tyne and the North East of England. Teaching for these programmes will take place at Northumbria University in Newcastle.
QA Higher Education is seeking an Academic Lead to contribute to the running and management of pathway programmes. The Academic Lead would line manage a team of EAP and subject specialist staff and report to the Head of Pathway College. The postholder would work with university colleagues directly involved with module or programme leadership, administration, registry and the International Development team in addition to colleagues across QAHE.
Candidates should have:
• TEFLQ status (e.g. a DELTA or MA in TESOL / Applied Linguistics)*
• Experience of teaching English for Academic Purposes to international students
• Experience of teaching English for Academic Purposes at level 3 and level 6
• Experience of line managing staff and academic modules or programmes
• Experience of materials development
• The ability to work with a range of stakeholders and hold their respect
• A BA / BSc or equivalent qualification in a relevant area
• An MA / MSc or equivalent qualification in a relevant area
• Ideally, candidates will have experience of teaching in a UK HE environment
*There are other acceptable combinations of qualifications that are acceptable as TEFLQ. Please refer to the British Council accreditation handbook or contact Steven Herron for further information.
The role will be wide ranging and includes the following aspects:
• Assist the Head of Pathway College in the day-to-day running of the centre
• Deputise for the Head of Pathway College
• Contribute to teaching across the Pathway Centre courses
• Liaise with Northumbria University programme teams (Programme Directors / Programme Leads and administration teams) on an operational basis and ensuring the delivery team / QA business needs are protected
• Management of the delivery team on a day-to-day basis to ensure that all delivery objectives and deadlines are met
• Develop materials and assessment for a wide range of programmes
• Support colleagues across both QA and Northumbria University with a wide range of activities
• Help develop effective systems and documentation in preparation for the any inspections (such as British Council, QAA, etc.)
• Ensure teaching staff complete registers, records of work, assessment documents and any other key administrative duties
• Ensure that deadlines for marking are met and that all of the required documentation is in order
• Adhere to all relevant Northumbria University policies while working at the Pathway College including the computer usage policy
• Adhere to all Company policies, including, but not limited to Health and Safety policy, IT User policy and Anti–Bribery policy.
Starting salary £29,000 – £33,000
Successful candidates will be invited to interview in Newcastle. The interview process will involve preparation of tasks provided before the interview day. Interviews will take place in July or August – we will contact shortlisted candidates to make arrangements. The interview date started in this advert is not the fixed date.
We are looking to start the role in December 2017 / January 2018 (there is a possibility of an earlier start). Again there is not a fixed date as such.
Potential candidates should send a CV and a brief letter to outline relevant experience, your availability and reasons for applying to firstname.lastname@example.org.
For an informal discussion about this role, please contact Steven Herron, Head of Pathway College: email@example.com