|Institution||Beijing-Dublin International College (BDIC)|
|Job Type||Fixed term, Full time|
1. Regular teaching requirements:
a) Classroom teaching: There will be 12 to 16 regular teaching hours per week, focusing on English for Academic Purposes. Teaching will take place on the BJUT campus in Beijing.
b)Specific teaching assignments: assigned by the BDIC English Department 2-4 weeks ahead of the start of each semester.
c) Office Hours: office hours are required weekly (6-8 classroom hours per-week) to offer tutorials to students across the college.
d) Working weeks: English instructors are required to observe the university calendar of each semester and ensure their availability during all working weeks.
e)It is expected that teaching will take place face-to-face on campus in Beijing. If travel is not possible before the start of the semester, a period of online teaching may be necessary. However, teachers are expected to cooperate fully with preparation of documentation and to be ready to travel as soon as it is possible.
2. Other activities relevant to regular teaching requirements:
a) Course preparation and planning of lessons to meet the learning outcomes indicated in the syllabus. This includes becoming familiar with set texts and recommended reading.
b)Conduct regular formative and summative assessments, engage fully with standardisation and moderation processes, mark and give feedback on coursework, test papers, oral tests and submit provisional final grades.
c) Attend weekly or bi-weekly staff meetings and be open to formative classroom observation and appraisal from the relevant programme coordinator.
d) Fulfil other duties as assigned, which may include, but are not necessarily limited to open days, departmental meetings, invigilation, additional lectures, grade review, and extra-curricular activities.
– Proficient English speaker
– Undergraduate degree
– CELTA, Trinity cert. TESOL (or equivalent English language teaching qualification)
– Two years of relevant experience
– Eligible for a Chinese visa
– DELTA, Trinity Dip. TESOL (or equivalent English language teaching qualification)
– Post-graduate qualification in TESOL, Applied Linguistics or a related discipline
– Experience of teaching in further or higher education settings
– Experience of teaching English for Academic Purposes
– Experience of working in China or teaching Chinese learners
Desirable personal attributes
– Ability to work well as part of a team and collaborate with colleagues.
– Ability to adapt to new cultures, lifestyles and work environments
– Conscientious and committed to the highest standards of professional service.
– Cooperative and proactive in dealings with colleagues and academic management
– Ability to work in an amenable, accommodating and flexible manner
– Polite and positive in dealings with students and colleagues alike
1. Successful candidates with a Bachelor’s, Master’s or Doctoral Degree will be offered a starting monthly salary of 15,000 RMB 16,500 RMB and 18,000 RMB respectively before tax. Offers above this will be dependent upon professional and academic qualifications and relevant work experience.
2. Housing: A fully-furnished on-campus apartment or a monthly allowance of 5,000 RMB will be offered when in Beijing.
3. An annual travel allowance of 12,000RMB, payable in two instalments at the end of each semester, will be offered when in Beijing (under normal conditions).
4. Full-time in-house visa officer to assist with obtaining a work permit and residence permit. Assistance with travel bookings as required.
5. If necessary, due to pandemic-related travel restrictions and high costs, BDIC will buy tickets for teachers to travel to Beijing.
6. If necessary, BDIC will also cover quarantine costs.
7. Full medical insurance for within China.
8. Holidays: off on all Chinese public holidays. Paid winter and summer vacations, (typically lasting 5-6 weeks each) for continuing contracted teachers.
9. Performance-related salary increases (up to a maximum of 5% per annum).
10. A campus experience with canteens and cafes on-site. There are also several gyms on campus.
To apply, please send a CV and cover letter to Yixin Li at firstname.lastname@example.org. For questions about the role, please contact Dr Alex Runchman at email@example.com.