|Job Type||Fellowship (Paid, Full time)|
The Writing Advisor Fellow will assist the Writing Center’s faculty members in helping Hiroshima University (HU) researchers write papers in English. The Fellow will provide consultations on academic writing, such as drafts for academic journals and proposals, or abstracts for international conferences. The Fellow will also facilitate writing groups to encourage peer feedback and to support researchers during the writing process. Together with the Writing Center’s faculty members and independently, the Fellow will plan, organize, and lead seminars and workshops related to academic writing and presentation skills. Other responsibilities include giving mid-term and final report presentations and to compile written reports based on the presentations.
[Services for the Writing Center]
– To provide consultations on academic writing in English, e.g. journal articles, proposals, conference presentations.
– To facilitate writing groups for HU researchers.
– To work independently or as part of a team to plan, organize, and lead seminars and workshops regularly related to improving HU researchers’ academic writing ability
– To assist the Writing Center’s faculty members with classes and assignments on academic writing for both graduate and undergraduate students.
– To use the data and experiences gained in the Fellowship for current or future research and present research outcomes at academic conferences and in journal articles.
– To collect information about and analyze the standard operating procedures of writing centers at other universities with specific interest in how they can support and improve HU researchers’ academic writing. To analyze the data collected through services such as consultations and writing groups for self-evaluation and improvement of the Writing Center.
– Monthly salary is 271,000 Japanese Yen (JPY). Items such as residence tax and annual pension may be deducted depending on individual circumstances.
– HU will sign a lease for an apartment with all utilities and basic furnishings near the university. The Fellow will be required to pay monthly rent of about 50,000-60,000 yen.
– Round trip airfare to/from Higashi-Hiroshima, based on university restrictions.
– Annual paid leave (pro-rated from 20 days per 12 months for full-time employees).
– The Research Planning Office will assist the Fellow with visa application paperwork, including providing a Certificate of Eligibility which is required to submit to a local Japanese consulate/embassy. Upon your arrival in Higashi-Hiroshima, your colleagues will assist you with opening a bank account and submitting official paperwork to City Hall.
The application process can be started at:
For more details, see the Application Guideline at: